The arrival of internet banking has made our lives easy. With the help of internet banking you can do a lot of things from the comfort of your home like Transfer money from your home to another bank, pay utility bills, book tickets, online shopping and much more. The number of people using internet banking is on the rise and so the fraud relating to internet banking is also increasing. Fraudsters have come up with various methods to cheat people online and make quick money. So, it is really important to be careful while carrying out any transactions online. A single mistake can cost you lakhs. Here we will discuss some of the important tips for securely doing your online transactions.
Important tips for safe Online banking
- Access your bank website only by typing the URL in the address bar of your browser.
- Beware of downloading any malicious software from mobile application stores. Kindly check the authenticity.
- Do not click any links provided in the emails to access the site]e
- No bank will ever send email/SMS or call you over the phone to ask for your personal information, password or one time SMS. Never Respond to such calls, emails/SMS.
- Having the following will improve your internet security:
- Newer version of Operating System with latest security patches.
- Latest version of Browsers.
- Firewall is enabled.
- Antivirus signatures applied.
- Scan your computer regularly with Antivirus to ensure that the system is Virus/Trojan free.
- Change your Internet Banking password at periodical intervals.
- Always check the last log-in date and time in the post login page.
- Avoid accessing Internet banking accounts from cyber cafes or shared PCs.
- After you have logged in, you will not be asked to provide your username and login password again.Also, you will not be asked to provide your CREDIT or DEBIT CARD details while using internet banking.
Disconnect the internet connection when not in use
Most broadband users do not disconnect the internet connection on their computer when they are not using it. Malicious hackers can access your computer via an internet connection and steal your confidential banking information. To keep your data protected, ensure that you disconnect from the internet when you do not require it.
Always use licenced anti-virus software
To protect your computer from new viruses, ensure that you always use licenced anti-virus software. Pirated versions of anti-virus softwares may be available for free, but they may fail to protect your computer from new viruses prevalent in the online world. In addition, you will get notifications for updates in the software periodically. Make sure that you keep your anti-virus updated, so that your confidential information is always protected.
Register for bank notifications
Banks send email and SMS notifications, each time you make a transaction. This helps keep track of your bank accounts. In the case of any fraudulent transaction, you must report this to the bank immediately.